Wednesday 22 May 2013

Happiness comes from Gratitude & appreciation (1)

Happiness...Gratitude & appreciation 

There are many times people ask me 'why am I so happy?' as I am beaming all the time.
In my previous internship, students asked me: 'Miss Lim,  why are you always smiling?' and my answer to them was ' I am always happy ' that's why I'm always smiling. They are really surprised at my answer but I was unsure why was/am I so happy. I ponder and now I know the answer. (1) I live feeling grateful to other people. I appreciate others for everything they have done for me. (2) I know how to live purposefully (3) I learn saints' wisdom and teachings (4) etc.

Living in a Grateful world

Gratitude 

Living is a blessing. Throughout my life, so many people have done so many things for me and I truly appreciate it. I wish to express heartfelt and sincere gratitude to my grandmother, parents, teachers, seniors, friends and too many to mention including construction workers, cleaners, farmers, everyone.

(1) My grandma 

Me 
Grandma took care of me when I was a baby. How much effort it takes to care for a small baby! One very fine day while she was mopping the floor, I cried. So unfortunately, she slipped and fell badly while she carried me. Grandma got severely injured and could not walk anymore. She had to visit the hospital and underwent treatment such as physiotherapy. She recovered after a long time and was incapable of looking after me as she need rest. I was less than two years old then and (out of no choice) I was being sent into a childcare center. Despite so, grandma still love me after the accident. After she recovered, she went to the childcare constantly to ensure I was coping well. Many times, she peeped at me through the window of my childcare center. I was too small to know anything. Gratitude!


(2) Parents

Dad and mum give me everything. (elaborated in the post [our parents' love])  Everything that I have are gifts from my parents. I don't believe that whatever that are given to me for these twenty odd years are obviously necessary and should be given to me. I believe I deserve nothing in this world and whatever presented or given to me are gifts of life. The love, care, concern , money, effort are given out of my parents' love. Other things they have given me include the shelter above my head, the food that energize me, the clothes I am wearing, and so on so forth. Gifts from my parents that can't be taken for granted. Gratitude! 

(3) Teachers  

Throughout my life, teachers play a very important and influential role. Teachers in educational institutions impart me with worldly knowledge while many other teachers instill into me values and attitudes crucial in life. Actually, everyone in my life are my teachers. Everyone has good character traits in them that I can learn from to enhance myself. 

Teachers in primary, secondary school and JC as well as professor in my university taught me knowledge and skills that make me understand my languages, physical truth of life (how the world are made of atoms, how are physical landscapes form, how to learn about history...) , critical thinking, analytic skills, etc. With these knowledge, hopefully I will be a more knowledgeable and useful person who can serve the community, society and the world with my utmost ability.  

Many of them had spent much of their precious time with me clearing doubts and answering my (numerous) questions. 
In childcare, my teachers really have a heart for their students. They are nice and strict. They are loving teachers at times as well as strict and fierce teachers at other times. I remember that teachers not only can use rulers to hit students' hand, they can even shout, scold and punish them (including me) (during that time unlike now--bad when teachers cannot do so). I am really grateful to my childcare teachers hit, shout, scold and punish me for the wrongs and mistakes that I have committed. I really really really learn my errors and did not dare to do the wrongs again. I remember my mistakes so vividly. My dad told me that (in his times) when teachers punished students, the parents not only give another scolding, they will be grateful to teachers and buy presents for teachers as a form of appreciation- thanking them for making an effort to educate and help his/her child grow as a person and learn his/her mistakes. I am who I am today as a result of the teachings and strictness of my teachers. 


Incident: 
There was once I desired to have more money(in primary school). I tried to sell stickers in the childcare and threatened my friends not to tell the teachers about it (using terrifying words) . I sold those stickers at relatively high price and managed to sell quite a number of them before my teachers became aware of it. My teachers effectively scolded me and I was being punished severely! I was made to stand like the picture below for approximately half an hour. It was very memorable and I never make the mistakes ever again. I knew I was wrong and I repented for it then and now! I am wrong. Thank you so much my dearest teachers who taught me how to be a good person! This was a serious fault that I remembered it until now after graduating from university.wow! The effectiveness of education in those days are lost today! what a pity! Pitiful students today cannot be groomed into great character. They may even bring along all their errors with them(to their later lives since parents do not allow their child to be scolded by teachers). Students are also not humble enough to accept the scolding of teachers/seniors who want them to be a better person! 严师出高徒!It is because of my mum and my teachers' teachings/scolding/punishments that gives me the quality to be able to accept saints' and sages' teachings in my teens. I am really grateful! Heartfelt!  Until now, when I met my childcare teacher on the street, they recognize me and chat with me.     
In secondary school, I desired to do well in 'O' level. I consistently approached almost all my subject teachers and had countless consultations with them. They were patient, nice and gave me their attention and helped me to strive academically. Thank you soso much! They did everything for the good of my future. I was a normal academic student and was disrespectful many times. But sadly my teachers did not scold or tell me it's wrong until i learnt it myself via saints' teachings. Once, I spoke sarcastically to my teacher telling him his teaching improved and many times I spoke badly/badmouth/criticize teachers. I seek for forgiveness and repent for my ignorance and sinful words/actions. Too much wrong done. Too much to say ya!

In JC, many teachers are committed to help us strive to do well. When 'A' level is around the corner and creeping closer and closer, teachers in my JC gave consultations! I was really very touched. One of them put her timetable in her pigeonhole and invited students to fill in their requested time for consultation in any of her free period. I went for countless consultations. Gratitude! My good friend wanted to consult another math teacher(She was one of the heads of the department) and contacted her. Surprisingly, she agreed yet she was not our own math teacher (I guessed my math teacher would be unhappy). I went along and guess what she was so busy that we could only consult her at night. She was really patient and cleared our doubts. She had consultation until 10 p.m. that night! What a committed teacher! It is really not the grades of 'O' level or 'A' level that matters, but the process of learning that matters! A grade is simply a letter in the certificate whereas the spirit of learning and teachers' unconditional giving that are indeed invaluable!



There are times when teachers disappoint me and made me upset, but learning saints' teachings really made me respect all my teachers no matter what they have done. I knew all teachers put in much effort into teaching and being a school teacher is never a simple task. The effort and time that teachers have put in is beyond what a student really know! I made teachers' day cards for all my teachers not just those that I really like! There was once when my friends do not understand why I am doing the card for my chemistry teacher when she treated me in that way. They said I do not need to show gratitude toward her or make any card for her as she does not deserve it. I believed she deserved it and I simply smiled and continued making the card! I knew I am grateful for what she had done and would not hold grudge just because of  one small matter that happen! Another time when I was aware my friends were not giving cards to some teachers as they do not particularly like them. I secretly done up the cards and made it a card from the class. Heehee. I believe teachers need encouragement to drive them to passionately teach. Gratitude!

In university, I met many passionate professors who had shown me what it takes to be a teacher.
(1) I was then a freshman and unknowingly I took a year 4 Chinese module 训诂学 (Chinese Semantics)  that was really interesting but hard! I went to sit in for another class and met someone special! He is Professor Lim- the most passionate and committed professor that I have even met. After speaking to him and siting in for his lecture, half-way through the semester, he told me I could ask him questions on Chinese Semantics (half and hour before lecture at 8 am!). I was very touched! because I was not his student then. But carelessly I was very late that day! It's my fault that I failed to arrival on time. I apologize sincerely and said that I will not be late the next time round. He is one of the people who taught me that punctuality is important! Professor is never late and he always comes early! Guess what! Every single week until the term closed, he came every time to teach me! I guessed it was because I had the basic respect for him that made him do so. He is just a very nice professor.

(2) Prof. Jansson is an amiable professor who conducted her lecture (logic and paradoxes) in such enthusiastic manner that she made a boring subject interesting. It was a blessing to be in her class as I felt so good learning the module she taught despite it's toughness. When I went to her office, she always explained patiently and nicely! She was so encouraging so much as that she boosted my morale and confidence for this hard module. I went there with little confident and left feeling great and encouraged!

(3) Professor Luco and Professor Teru are two very supportive professors I met. For almost all of my four essays, Professor Luco gave me substantial feedback when I went to his office. Each essay took us an hour! During the meet-up, I realized flaws in my own essays that I never notice myself and worked hard to make them better essays. I was eager to learn not for the grades but to truly learn something out of every module! Gratitude! Prof. Teru is another professor who gave me substantial comments on my paper. To elaborate, my paper was filled completely with his comments. I was deeply moved as no other professors would make such effort to give such a detailed comment. He corrected all my grammatical errors too! and there were a lot of them! I was not full of myself and did not get annoyed by the feedback. I really appreciate them as dizigui 《弟子规》made me appreciative of criticism. I accepted the truthful and blunt comments on my essay and I am still very grateful as I realized my own flaws! Gratitude!

  

Moving on to talk about my moral values teachers!

I have moral values teachers (on Saints and sages' teachings) as well as Buddhism teachers. They build my character and did their best to gave me the most precious gift 'The teachings and wisdom of Saints and Buddha'. 《弟子规》taught me how to be a truly good person or rather virtuous person. I learn to be nice and filial to my parents, respectful to my teachers, love my country Singapore, nice to my friends, etc. I learn to be respectful to seniors, show loving-kindness to people, forgive people, etc. Buddhism gave me the wisdom and ability to live a fulfilling life. There was once I got unhappy about something! I went online to listen to the teachings/talk. I was being scolded. My Buddhist teacher commented that as a learner one has to have a peaceful mind and that I was wrong to get so easily upset and unhappy. When I experience something unpleasant, there is no need to be upset, we can still be in a very calm state unaffected by it. But this needs 功夫 effort, skills and a big heart ! I am still learning! These teachers made me a happier and nicer person. In fact, I really recognize my flaws and I am full of flaws. I am a sinner. I desire to change for the better. Additionally, I learn to live a purposeful life- to contribute positively to this world. I am who I am today really because of these teachings from texts and teachers. They give me brightness and hope!

My heart is filled with reverence and gratitude for everyone especially my grandparents, parents and teachers. That is why when I did my internship as a teaching assistant, I wanted to give back and gave my very best to the students. I did whatever I can even if it meant doing more than was necessary! I did everything not to impress anyone but to do my best for the benefits of the students! There was once someone told me not to do so much as I was 'spoiling the market'. People will make comparison between teachers, and it will make others at a losing end. I did not care because others do not understand how grateful I am to all my teachers and everyone on earth. No one know why I do what I did! But I knew deep in my heart that what I did was right! I will give my best and have no regrets!
Not to forget, my dearest friends. I am really grateful receiving all that they have given me. All the company, support, care, concern, love, laughter, joy, happiness, help, assistance and feedback are really appreciated. Thank you for tolerating me and forgiving me for the stupid things I did. I am really grateful as their sharing sessions with me made me learn a lot from them. Every friend has a great character trait that I will discover and learn from. Although I do not stay closely in contact with them or cannot always go out with them as I am very busy and preoccupy, I know they are always there. :) Wanna to say


More than words! 
Be grateful and you will be happy like me! 

continue( coming next )...  Happiness comes from gratitude & appreciation  (2)

No comments: