Monday 3 June 2013

No Jealousy! against the capabilities of others

《弟子规》-- 信篇

唯德学 唯才艺 不如人 当自砺


唯有当我自己的道德、品行、學問和才能、技术不如別人,我该勉励自己努力的去改进。

When I am not as virtuous, capable, intelligent, knowledgeable, skillful and talented as others, I will urge myself to improve and improve for the better!




We have siblings, friends, classmates or colleagues who are much more capable than ourselves. My friends /classmates may be smarter (very intelligent) than me and do better in terms of academic studies. They may even possess certain talents/skills that I lack. My colleagues may be much more able than me and can accomplish much more than me. 


Saints teaches us NOT to ENVY or get JEALOUS, and have A BIG HEART to accept and feel happy for what my friend has :)  I have to urge myself to work hard to strive in aspects that I want to be good at! I can always learn from them and improve!



My reflection 

Aspect 2: Learning capacity and capabilities



I believe I am a very fortunate person as people around me complete the parts that I lack very much. Friends have the elements and factors that complete the imperfection in me. Many friends of mine in university are very brilliant/intelligent and many of them are first-class or second upper honours , I don't envy or feel jealous of their smartness after learning this teaching. Learning these teachings really open my heart as I feel good being with them rather than being envious. I will not feel like a loser or a lousy person, or get jealous of their capabilities/academic success. My teacher told me: there are only three type of people who will not be jealous of your success. They are my parents, my true teachers and my true friends. They will want me to be successful and they will feel good for me.  


Vanessa and Jia Ting are two of my brainy and bright friends. Amazingly they absorbs university mathematics so easily and quickly. They are the two scholars who help me and make learning uni maths not as impossible and complex( if I were to learn them myself without their help). They are very zai and very helpful! Vanessa actually help me(her own initiative)  to review the whole module content and prove the maths from scratch for an hour to two! So nice right! I went for Jia Ting Math clinic tutoring session every week for another module. They are pretty good teachers:) Having them as my friends was not stressful or depressing for me (as I am not as good as them and it can be stressful for others). In fact, I have overcome myself from feeling anxious because they are so smart. In fact, I have many more capable and bright friends around me who are better academically than me. I empower myself not to feel jealous and to really feel happy for them! They complete the lack of intelligence in me and thank you so much for completing me! I feel so fortunate having them around. Thank you Confucius, Buddha and all the saints of the world for teaching me the right attitude in life!    

Life may make me less intelligent than others but I am given many many intelligent friends!
In life, when a door is close...another door will be open ^.^

Aspect 3: Capabilities and skills at work, in projects and among friends

One of my friend cum junior told me that someone actually tell her: You do not need to possess all capabilities but you can hire those people who have these capabilities to help you. Yea! We will not be good at everything, but we can support each other with the elements that are lacking within each of us. We can always strive high and maximize our potential to the best ability of ours. With the capabilities of each person, the work done will be great provided each person put in their very best. It will be so great, isn’t it? ^.^  (I guess one important thing is I myself will not be a free-rider or make use of people's ability(with motive) no matter what. Ultimately, the free-rider, who make use of others capability without contributing/contributing little, will be at the losing end as he/she will absorb nothing but bad reputation and impression from others:)

Saints’ teaching:

(1) 有德有才会爱才  (moral & capable)
When a person is virtuous and is capable/ talented, he/she will cherish people who are gifted, capable and talented.

(2) 无德有才会嫉才(not moral & capable)
When a person is not virtuous ( not a person with good character traits没德行) yet capable and skillful, he/she will/tend to be selfish, envious and intolerant/jealous of others’ talents. Such a person is very dangerous. 

(3) 有德无才会用才 (moral & incapable)
When a person is moral/righteous/virtuous but incapable, he/she will be able to maximize others’ talents via giving the capable people opportunities. And such a person can be trained to be capable.  
(The jealous people will not give the talented opportunities as they fear others will be more capable than themselves=selfishness).

(4) 无德无才会毁才(not moral & incapable)
If a person is neither moral nor capable, he/she will ruin the capable and talented people. Such a person is very dangerous)

有德有才爱才 ( 德才兼备--不会越来越自私) 
无德有才会嫉才 (可能会越来越自私)
有德无才会用才
无德无才会毁才

Precious teachings! I am not person type (1) but it will be great to be the first type of person 有德有才. But I will first strive to be 有德无才 (a person who cultivate inner qualities but without much capabilities) will cherish capable people around me. Saints tells us that you will reap what you sow and work hard to strive high! Skills and capabilities comes with hard work and a heart to learn! Moral will be the basis of a person’s success!

What type of person and attitude do we wanna be?  You have a choice. I believe you will make the right choice!!




When others receive rewards, recognition, compliment and praises from some others, do not envy or be jealous of their success.




When I am not as capable/intelligent/knowledgeable/talented as others , I will urge myself to improve and improve for the better! These people serve as a pushing energy for me to maximize my potential! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment