Tuesday 9 July 2013

When you see others do wrong, immediately reflect upon yourself(1)

《弟子规》
见人恶 即内省 有则改 无加警
When I see others do wrong, immediately reflect upon myself.
If I have made the same mistake, correct it.
If I do not have such flaws/errors, i will be extra cautious not to make the same mistakes.

In Buddhism, Buddha says: " 若真修道人不见世间过!". In other words, a person who is cultivating his/her personality (for good) should not see the bad and evils in the world. Because everything is a reflection of ourselves and the wrongs that we must not have.

My Buddhism teacher tell me:

    {只看别人的好。不看别人的不好。不要把别人的垃圾放进自己纯净纯善的心中}
         I should not make my benevolent/pure kind heart a trash bin for others' bad 
         character/behaviour/attitude/ actions /words/etc
         I should put only the good of people into my heart; the bad/flaws in people should be
         forgiven, forgotten and thrown away.  


Incident 1: (minor)
15th May 2011
I and Nicole was supposed to meet at 8.30 am in the morning outside my school library. Despite so, i knew very sure she will be late again! I get disappointed and unhappy whenever friends are late. I am quite used to it already. But I questioned myself : 1) why do modern people not cherish other people's precious time and always be late when meeting friends? 为何现在人对于他人的时间没有珍惜之心呢?2) why do modern people not be a man of their words and come at the time they say they want to meet? 为何现代人不知道和人约好了就要言而有信准时到。
  1. You cannot blame her because no one teach her that punctuality is extremely vital even for friends. (this is not what most people think i know!) She did not learn saints' teachings. If she has, she will not be late. So you cannot blame her for her actions.Modern people are not truly educated in their heart and character! 
  2. I Signed deeply in my heart as despite being late she do not feel a single sense of wrong. maybe it is just normal and reasonable to be late when meeting friends. 迟到了一点惭愧心都没有。咳。It is not her fault, it is my fault as i am not virtuous to meet virtuous people (we know birds of the same feather flock together) 是自己没德行所以没能迎来有德行的朋友.   
  3. In addition, she is a mirror...telling me i will not want to let others wait for me. I will have the good habit of being punctual. Reflecting: there are times when I let people wait for me--late.(eg. when I had reunion dinner and when I went to pay respect to my ancestors during Qing Ming commemorating ). I have this flaw and it is great for me to change for the better(Although I am rarely late but beware)      
  4. This incident tell me that i have the bad habit of always looking at the flaws in others, i should not see the flaws in others but reflect whether or not i have such flaws! through this incident, you see my own flaw!  
  5. Now, two years has passed and she is still the same but i have learn from my lesson ^.^

"Even if everyone else
is not doing good,
I alone will.

Even if everyone else
Is doing wrong,
I alone will not."


"Focus, 
not on the rudeness of others, 
not on what they've done or left undone, 
but on what you have and have not done yourself."  

- Heart of a Buddha Text

No comments:

Post a Comment